Jan 9, 2011

Zucchini and Cucumber

I had a fantastic and prolific growth of zucchinis during Nov, Dec and Jan. Flowers turned into 20cm zucchinis in 2 to 3 weeks.



Here's my planting recipe (over 1 square metre): 

1 handful of rock minerals and 1 handful of sulphate-of-potash powder mixed with cow manure and pelletized chicken manure. The manure mix was about 70cow/30chicken and this was mixed in at a rate of about 50% to the existing soil. The seedlings were planted in early-mid Nov 2010 (possibly in the 1st quarter of the new moon phase).

A few of the seedlings did not survive the first 3 weeks. The remaining 2 seedlings stayed small but the stems thickened and small flowers appeared. I fertilized with liquid Powerfeed and worm juice once or twice a week. I then went away for 2 weeks and when I returned I found 2 large and thriving plants with fully grown zucchinis! I had visited friends in Melbourne, Alex & Nic's property in Greendale & The Digger's Club in Blackwood (both about 90 mins from Melbourne) and Pete's Vegie Patch at the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens in Hobart.

There were a few days in Perth with temps in the high 30s(c)  but the rest of the days were up to about 30c. Zucchinis are very easy to grow and subsequent growth has produced more fully grown zucchinis in less than 2 weeks. During the very hot weather I’ve been using Powerfeed or worm juice every 2 to 3 days.

Two fully grown zucchini plants

I have pruned the leaves several times as overcrowding in my little patch happens fast! I cut the leaves close to the base of the plant and furtherest away from the fruit.

The cucumbers were a lot slower to grow. They crept along the ground being sheltered by the big zucchini leaves and they sent out ‘grabbers’ (like a pumpkin plant) to climb up neighboring plants. 

This cucumber has climbed up the neighboring tomato plant.

Here's a rogue pumpkin plant growing out of the base of the recently lopped-off Tuscan Kale.
 
This spread quickly around the patch and I’ve found 11 small butternut pumpkins growing, with no help from me apart from helping steer the creeping so that it doesn’t creep through the NZ spinach.  There might be a fight for ground space when these get bigger.  I'll provide an update in a few months.


No comments:

Post a Comment