Oct 12, 2010

Germinating seeds

My shadehouse for germinating seeds and growing seedlings during winter.
The spray bottle of water close by is handy for keeping seedlings moist.
I experimented with a variety of home made containers that would hold moisture and provide ventilation.  The paper cups in the juice bottle were the most successful. Made from rolling up a sheet of newspaper around a tin of baked beans, then stapled. When planted, I ripped open the bottom. Easy!  The bottle was cut forming a small chest-like opening. 
The egg carton was a nuisance. Won't try that again.


Next winter, I will use the recycled square jiffy pots (bottom shelft) under the plastic square lid. The germinating box cost me $8 from Red Dot and appeared to be the same as a $20 one from Bunnings. 
Seeds and Jiffy pots bought from www.seed.com.au.

No comments:

Post a Comment